It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 am

How about a Catless 2.7

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 pm   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We don't have a Smog Inspection here in BC for a while now.

Would it be a smart or not so smart idea to get a custom exhaust done and chuck both catalytic converters
and hope to gain power plus lower running temps?

Ideas????

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:32 pm   

I've no idea how the cats are tied into the computers so have no idea the "fire" you might be playing with. Something tells me such a mod wouldn't do anything significant to this already relatively weak engine.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:17 pm   
Gold Member

That will trigger some codes. It may alter the tune in a negative way- it may run worse. The oxygen sensors need heat from the cats to work correctly. I know there are some aftermarket heaters that can be used to trick the sensors, but without a retune of the engine i dont think there is much to gain.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:26 pm   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:thumbsup: Thanks All

Got lotsa time to think about it. Leaving for the East coast tomorrow and by the time I get back in the first week of November
the frost will have hit the pumpkin and the Sebring will be hibernating till Apr 2018.

Cheers Y'all

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:03 am   

I agree that removing the cats will cause more trouble than it's worth.

some brands you can program the cats out of the computer. Our cars you cannot. So your car will be in cat failure throwing codes and will start to run pretty bad.

I don't know of any high flow cats for our cars. But maybe there is something out there.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 am   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've thought of replacing the cats with custom headers and adding a cat further back (away from the engine, under the car) so the second O2 sensors are still there and reporting to the computer. Don't know if the time for the cats to get to operating temps would be longer (being further from the engine) and cause an error code but it's been a thought. Plus you could get an aftermarket free-flowing generic cat instead of two pricy stock ones.

-Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:54 am   

Sure would be nice to get those cats away from the block. But I think it would cause a lot of problems. What might be a better plan is some kind of insulation on the block or even vents on the hood.

Man its just a stupid idea putting cats that close to the engine. Dumb, dumb, dumb. :nono: :nono: :nono:

I was talking to a engineer about GM warranties. I said they need to be longer because other companies are offering 10 years and most people are still paying on the car and the warranty is expired. His answer "Pay Cash". My question, what about the extra 7 years? No answer. Probably the same engineer that put the cats next to the motor and didn't see a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:04 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Terry W wrote:
Sure would be nice to get those cats away from the block. But I think it would cause a lot of problems. What might be a better plan is some kind of insulation on the block or even vents on the hood.

When I pull the 2.7 from my '05 GTC this winter to replace the oil pump and bearings, I will be wrapping both cats with header wrap.

I had a problem with the starter(s) in my '87 F-150 getting heat soaked and not working. The two exhaust pipes that feed to the single cat on this truck (300 ci straight-six) are just inches away from the starter. It didn't matter if the starter was from O'reilly's or a Motorcraft from the Ford dealer, they couldn't handle the heat.

I finally got fed up and wrapped both pipes in header wrap cloth all the way back to the cat. I have not had any issues since and I can put my hand around the pipe and not be burned even after driving for 100 miles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:19 pm   

The cats are stainless so it shouldn't be a problem but I have heard that wrapping regular steel makes them rot faster. I have no experience with it just what I heard.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:48 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I wrapped about 2 feet of my LeBaron exhaust pipe (after the resonator) because it was so close to the rear suspension, it is easy to use and has kept the heat away from the bushings and has been been absolutely quiet since (the rattle is gone...exhaust is loud! :mrgreen: ) great stuff...wear gloves it is nasty sharp, with the fiber in it :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

You must have used a different brand. This stiff feels like cloth fire hose material. Bare-handed application.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 pm   
Gold Member

I was going to do this but I read some articles that said it was bad for both longevity and performance of the cat. If I find the information again I'll post it up.