It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Help with door ajar switch gen 3, please

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 pm   
Copper Member

Hello
I've been having issues with my window drop feature and courtesy lights on my 2008. I've tracked it down to either a bad wire or connector or door latch. I can wiggle the wires where they plug into the door latch assembly to get it to fail or not fail so I know I'm close but I need to remove the door latch to find out for sure which it is. I can remove the bolts that hold the latch in but there seems to be something else holding in in place inside the door. Has anyone had this problem or has an idea how to remove it?

Thanks in advance
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:52 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

sorry have not pulled mine apart but I can imagine that it isn't all that bad... :?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:20 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The latch is attached to the large black plastic inner door and window regulator support. It will be a bear to get out and will require taking the window out of the regulator.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:33 am   
Copper Member

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. I was hoping it was just clipped on somehow. I guess I'll try harder to diagnose the plug itself. If I jiggle the wires I can make it work or fail so maybe with a test light I can figure out if ones bad in the plug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:23 pm   
Copper Member

Here's the removal procedure from the service manual.....

1.Place the window in the full up position.

2.Remove the mirror flag bezel. (Refer to 23 - Body/Door - Front/FLAG, Mirror - Removal) .

3.Remove door trim panel. (Refer to 23 - Body/Door - Front/PANEL, Door Trim - Removal) .

4.Disconnect the door latch cable from the interior door handle.

5.Remove the rubber door latch access cover from the door module.

NOTE:
If not present, a small two inch relief must be cut into the door module latch access opening to allow the removal of the door latch.

6.Remove the latch retaining screws.

7.Disconnect the exterior door handle linkage from the latch.

8.Disconnect the lock cylinder linkage at the latch (Driver door only).

9.If equipped, remove the latch locator bracket by pushing upward releasing the bracket from the door module.

10.Remove the interior door handle release cable from the door latch.

11.Disconnect the electrical connector to the door latch.

NOTE:
The latch locator bracket is used for assembly only. Once removed the latch locator bracket can be discarded.

12.If equipped, remove the latch locator bracket from the door latch by pressing the top of the locator bracket away from the latch and unsnap the bottom from the latch assembly.

13.Disconnect the door lock rod from the door latch.

14.Remove the latch from the vehicle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:05 pm   
Copper Member

Wow, that's great!!! Thank you very much for finding that. Now I know I can unclip it to remove.
Thanks very much !!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:36 pm   
Copper Member

Thanks again for this. I couldn't bring myself to cut the access port as stated.
"NOTE:
If not present, a small two inch relief must be cut into the door module latch access opening to allow the removal of the door latch. "
But I was able to rotate the latch to check the wires. Of course once I got in there nothing would fail but I carefully checked each wire and put silicone around the plug to hopefully fix any vibration issues. If it fails later I will order the latch and cut the relief to replace it.