Register
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Bleeding The Air out of coolant system.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:36 am   
Ok, so I know I need to open the bleed valve and make sure only coolant comes out and no air. But, WHERE is the bleed valve? I've searched the How-To section, and the 2.7 section and even asked google. Everyone has the answer of how to do it, just not where to find the bleed valve. So, if someone could let me know that would be wonderful! (because I need to attempt to do that tommorow in hopes of fixing the engine running hotter then normal problem)

(P.S. I do have half a gallon of concentrate and half a gallon of distilled water on hand to add some extra. =D )

Last edited by Aleks on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:11 am   

With any luck, this will help. Just click on the image for an enlargement.
[ img ]

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:24 am   
Thank you, also, is there a specific procedure to follow? Or do I just open up the valve and wait until i get just coolant coming out?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:06 am   
Gold Member

Run vehicle with valve cracked open and heater temp set for hot. Run until steady stream of water comes out. It will probably release steam and spit some water out first, but make sure it is a steady stream.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:38 am   
Silver Member

Golfnut wrote:
[ img ]

Can that "Special Tool" be a common funnel?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:49 am   
Would I be correct in assuming I should also top off the coolant reservoir before doing anything, and possibly after once the car has cooled off?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:22 am   
Gold Member

I would start at the full mark. When done then make sure it is at the full cold mark.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:37 pm   

Once again, click on the following to enlarge it. These are the instructions for filling the cooling system which includes bleeding the system.

[ img ]

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:42 pm   

B-52 wrote:
Golfnut wrote:
[ img ]

Can that "Special Tool" be a common funnel?

I suspect it can be; however, read the instructions in my 2nd post and you will see there are fill lines in the special tool (funnel) that are to be observed. I would assume one could do a good estimate of the additional amount of coolant to allow to go into the overflow chamber. That is supposition on my part. I've not done this so don't take that statement as gospel.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:44 pm   
Gold Member

Be carefull. That bleeder tends to stick and it's in a two stage plastic housing that costs about $125, if I recall. Mine broke this last winter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:51 pm   
This pic is for something else, so pardon the poor quality lol. Its the green circle in the upper left corner.
[ img ]

You definitely need to make sure the coolant level is full. It will drop when you have the bleeder valve open. Once the level drops below a certain point, only air will come out of the valve without any water. On my Trep, once it was below the "ADD" line, but still was coolant in the tank, that would happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:46 am   
Yep, I realized today. Unfortunately i didn't have the correct socket size on hand and the key that i did have didn't go on tight enough. (I had a full set of metrics, but not the imperial). So i had to driver over to a friend's place to pick up a set of imperial sockets, unfortunately that warmed up the engine and by the time it cooled it was too dark. I'll do it tomorrow morning. Everything should be fine I hope.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:58 pm   
I am pretty sure you do it with the engine warm and running. The size is 3/8". It would be best to use a wrench and have a piece of tubing over the bleeder and have the other end of the tubing running to a container to catch what comes out. I say you need the tubing because antifreeze will damage paint, as well as corneas lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:36 am   
Yep, did exactly that.

Besides the fact that about a gallon!! of antifreeze fit into the system, I also drained A LOT of air. :P

I got 1/4" ID tubing at a local hardware store for $1.30 for 4 feet :P.
And the 3/8" was the perfect fit. Came right off with a little bit of careful application of strength. It looked like I was the first person ever to open it too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:57 am   
Gold Member

Now that you did it you should do a step by step "How to" with pics in the How to area.