Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:14 am

Leaking Freeze Plugs

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:00 am   
Gold Member

While doing my latest oil change I noticed a few drops of antifreeze on a part near the oil filter. The wife also mentioned a few drops she had noticed on the ground. I then suspected I might have a small leak from a freeze plug as I know these can be an issue. Since it is buried in the motor I did not want to take the motor out to fix it right.

I decided to try this stuff:
http://www.barsproducts.com/1186.htm

It says it will not clog the system. http://www.barsproducts.com/tech/1186_faq.pdf

I will see how it works.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:06 pm   
Let me know if it works on freeze plugs ... I've had a couple friends use it for leaking heads and that was 50/50 on it working.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:23 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I used the "HD" version in my 99 for several years. I had an unfortunate opportunity two years ago to have the leakers fixed when my tranny was rebuilt so I haven't had to use it since.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:35 am   
Silver Member

I have replaced 3 my self, all ones that I was told have to have the engin removed to do so. It wasnt that bad, just a weekend under the car. On the ones in the back I used "liquid metal" and than I found rubber expansion plugs at Advance auto with is a sure fix. If you are a backyard mechanic at all you can fix them yourself. Tell us the exact location of the leak. Jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:17 am   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check with your local dealer. There was a recall on the freeze out plugs. Recalls never expire. And can be done over and over. If you have a question shoot me your vin in a pm. (vin, mileage and first 4 letters of last name)

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:43 pm   
Silver Member

I just realized that you said the plug leak is the one by the oil filter. I have fixed this one and its pretty easy. You just remove the oil filter housing (3 bolts) and use a 7/8-1" expanding plug. Took be about 5 hours in the garage on jackstands.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:55 pm   
FYI for readers. I have a 2000 JXI conv. The rear (41mm) freeze plug was leaking due to corrosion at the 6 to 7 o'clock position (looking fwd from the firewall). It's wa a little awkward to reach but I put the front on jackstands, crawl under and a was able to rotate the plug out with an extra long punch and pull it out. I would not tipically not recommend an expansion plug but I did install one because Napa didn't have any the propper size at the time (I will change it later). No issues so far (one week) and the car runs much better because the system requires back pressure to operate properly and the leak affacted that. After I figured out hoe to reach it, the job took about 30 minutes. Don't bother crawling under from either side, you can't get there. Grab some safety glasses, crawl in from under the front (knees under the front bumber) so you can see the rear side of the engine block (near the fire wall). Use a punch long enough to extend below the cross member and place the other end about the 1 o'clock position and give a few good whacks. The freeze plug should rotate where you can pull it. Don't worry about it going in, it wont go far even if it drops. Pull it, dress the hole if needed and install the new one. there is room to tap in a solid provided you find an apropriate "flat hammer" to tap with. Hope this helps...Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:29 am   
My 4th convertible wrote:
I just realized that you said the plug leak is the one by the oil filter. I have fixed this one and its pretty easy. You just remove the oil filter housing (3 bolts) and use a 7/8-1" expanding plug. Took be about 5 hours in the garage on jackstands.

Hello all...my first post and I need help. I have a 2000 LXi and first I noticed the rusty rad. fluid and flushed that out and then a I noticed a slow leak but nn water drips on the ground. Now I have a constant leak of water pouring out from an area behind the AC compressor and above the oil filter and the oil pan on the front driver side of the block. I can't see where the leaks is exactly from when I look under the car. Is this a bad freeze plug and is it hard to get to?

Any suggestions on how to get to this area and do you know if this is a known problem?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:02 pm   
Gold Member

Well that stop leak did it...at least in my case.

For a really bad corroded one replacement would be a better option.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:12 pm   
sleepm wrote:

Thanks...I was wondering if this is a hard job....

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:40 pm   
sleepm wrote:

Does anyone know how many freeze plugs are on the 2.5L block?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:31 pm   
Gold Member

Dorman sells a kit with 10 plugs in it.

Do they have that many? Maybe 3 on each side and 2 on each end?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 am   
sleepm wrote:

I called the local Glendale/CA Chrysler dealer and I told them I might have a freeze plug leak behind the AC Comp and above the oil filter. They said the min cost is $600 usd. and that is to RR one freeze plug! Ouch....

I checked for any TSB but no luck for a 2000 2.5l Sebring

I wish I knew of a good wrencher in the area that is familiar with vehicle.

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:25 pm   
Hello!
I too have a 2000 JXI and was wondering if you ever got yours all straightened out? I have noticed on the back of my engine, one of the small plugs has been replaced and the other one behind the motor mount is looking kinda nasty. I figured if I was gonna drain the engine, I might as well do as many as I could. As for the $600 to do one, it shouldn't cost all that much more to do the other ones on that side of the engine, once they pull the motor (That's why it costs so much I'lll bet, that is how the book tells them to do it.) So, let us know how it all went.
Keith
Champaign colored 2000 JXI, tan top

Fish Hunter wrote:
sleepm wrote:

I called the local Glendale/CA Chrysler dealer and I told them I might have a freeze plug leak behind the AC Comp and above the oil filter. They said the min cost is $600 usd. and that is to RR one freeze plug! Ouch....

I checked for any TSB but no luck for a 2000 2.5l Sebring

I wish I knew of a good wrencher in the area that is familiar with vehicle.

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:45 pm   
I noticed on a lot of the Chrysler parts are only available at Chrysler the freeze plugs one because i threw a set of gauges on the after-market replacements and they where no where close to the measurements of what was suppose to be so got them from Chrysler and one weekend decided for a project what do i do with the first one it had so much rust around it that i knocked it into the motor so that was job in itself