Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:30 am

OBD 2 Port?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:16 pm   
Hello,
Wow, there is a wealth of info on here, we just had some heavy rains and found out why the leaks on the convertible....my question is where on my car would I find the OBD 2 port? The car is a 2001 Sebring Convt with 88k and the check engine light came on yesterday...well the picture of an engine lit up, that is the check light, correct?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:37 pm   
Platinum Member

Going off memory here but it is mounted under the dash near the steering column.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:37 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

toplscuda wrote:
Going off memory here but it is mounted under the dash near the steering column.

Yep. I think it's just to the left of the column under the dash.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:51 pm   

Yakdude01 wrote:
toplscuda wrote:

On my '04 it is just to the RIGHT of the steering column in the kick panel. Try the key dance (OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON). Notice that is ON - not start. Leave it in the final ON position and you may be able to pull codes on the dash. They will appear in place of the odomoter reading. If you get any codes, write them down and post them here. We may be able to help. Also, Advance Auto has a scan tool that might be able to pull codes, as well. So you are aware, the codes should be in the format: Pxxxx The "x" represents a number.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:14 pm   
Golfnut wrote:
Yakdude01 wrote:
toplscuda wrote:

On my '04 it is just to the RIGHT of the steering column in the kick panel. Try the key dance (OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON). Notice that is ON - not start. Leave it in the final ON position and you may be able to pull codes on the dash. They will appear in place of the odomoter reading. If you get any codes, write them down and post them here. We may be able to help. Also, Advance Auto has a scan tool that might be able to pull codes, as well. So you are aware, the codes should be in the format: Pxxxx The "x" represents a number.

Found the port..thanks, but I couldn't find my scanner.... the off-on key dance worked I got 1684 & 0455 codes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:31 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

P1684- Battery Loss In The Last 50 Starts- The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts. starts (status indicator only - NOT a reported fault code)

P0455- Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Leak Detected -"A large leak has been detected in the evaporative system. See TSB 25-001-02. Also, possible faulty or loose gas cap. Note: The respective Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures Manual will direct the technician to determine if the vehicle evaporative system has an external system leak. Examples of some external system leaks are: a loose gas cap, a disconnected evaporative system hose, or a loose hose connection. Remember that the evaporative system may also have an internal system leak. This internal leak may be caused by an intermittent or permanently stuck open Duty Cycle Purge (DCP) valve. This leak source is considered to be internal because any escaping emissions enter into the engine system and not directly into the atmosphere, unlike an external leak. An internal leak may cause one of the above DTC?s. Possible causes of a stuck open (intermittent or permanent) DCP valve are: 1. Corrosion due to system moisture or possible water intrusion into the system."

Check the gas cap? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:37 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

by the way :welcome: :welcome:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:43 pm   
hard hat wrote:
by the way :welcome: :welcome:

Thank You...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Seriously, check to make sure the gas cap is tight. It can trigger the CEL. Might be the problem, according to your codes.

Last edited by Garrysr on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:45 pm   
Copper Member

Good chance it is the gas cap.

When the Lady comes in and says the Engine Light is on, it has been the proper security of the gas cap three times at our house.

In addition, two times since, she has come in and said the Engine Light was on, I tightened the gas cap and the light went out. I Thank her for it and she is happy. So am I!!!!

Hope it fixes your problem....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:09 am   
I'm sure it is the gas cap...it wasn't "clicked" all the way. Thank You

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:18 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

My habit is to get at least 3 good "clicks" on the gas cap anytime I replace it. And stopped letting the Missus fill it.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:20 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Always good to find an inexpensive (read "FREE") fix to a worrisome problem, isn't it!?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:02 pm   
Garrysr wrote:
Always good to find an inexpensive (read "FREE") fix to a worrisome problem, isn't it!?

sure is...I have a 95 Dodge Ram Cummins that I thought the vacuum booster was going out, so I decided to post a question on another forum related to these trucks...turns out to be the vacuum pump, and someone posted a $10.00 seal kit fix for it instead of paying $400.00 for a new pump...plus install. Again thanks!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:01 pm   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those interested, I bought an Equus Inova 3120 Scan tool ($150 at Amazon). My OTC Genisis was to expensive to update so I sold it on Ebay and replaced it. The 3120 does OBD1, OBD2, and CAN on American cars from 1981 to present, and the web site has trouble shooting support. One or two trips to the shop, and you have paid for it.