Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Low Power 2000 Sebring JXI Convertable

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:02 pm   
Good Day! I am so happy to have discovered this great site. I want to remain happy about my 2000 Crysler Sebring JXI Convertable, but am getting discouraged. I have a low power problem that I can not get anyone to identify. It is very simple, when you press the accelarator the engine winds up and the car moves very slowly. I have had a full computer check done on the engine and transmission and no fault codes were given. I changed fuel filters, I checked the catalytic converter. I had a tune up performed. Nothing has worked. I am not a mechanic. I have had two different mechanics look at and work on the car. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance! Roger Day

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:27 pm   

What kind of performance have you been getting?

How long have you had the car?

These cars arent known for going fast. what 0-60 times do you get?

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:21 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Am I correct in reading that the engine RPMs are coming up, buit the car is not accelerating to match? Like something is slipping between the engine and the transmission?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:51 pm   

:yeahthat:

thats where i was leading this. Thats why i wanted to know what things were like under hard accel.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:26 pm   
Hello to all that replied! Bear with me as I am just learning how to use the site and am not sure if I am replying to each or just individual! Sorry!

The performance up until about 6 weeks ago was good.

The rpm's do come up, it is like a loss of power during transfer from engine to transmission. I am not sure that I would classify it as a slip, the shifting of the automatic transmission is not jerky or hard. Make sense?

Under hard excel it just winds up and then finnaly seems to shift..Just notice yesterday watching daughter drive away that when it did shift I saw a puff of black smoke come from underneath, not out of the exhaust pipe..

We bought the car in the dead of this past Indiana winter, I did notice when we test drove it that it was slow out of the shoot, but nothing like now. It ran fine all winter, and this problem started about 6 weeks ago..Please note 20 year college daughter driving car..LOL! Thanks for any and all help! Roger D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:11 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

sounds like transmission...not sure what...and not sure how $$$ it is but I'm sure someone will be able to give you more info soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:03 pm   
Silver Member

Maybe the transmission is stuck in limp mode. It won't go faster than about 45 mph and rev like crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:14 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

If you've got the opportunity to drive it, the shift points are fairly obvious on the tach. Watch and make sure as you accelerate that you're getting 3 shifts. From 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 3 to o/d. Another clue would be what road speed you have and what the RPM's are at that speed. We should be able to estimate for you if you're in the right gear for that speed.

I'm inclined to think it is also tranny related. But your Sebring was designed with a "Limp Mode" that is controlled by the PCM and TCM (PowerTrain Control, Transmission Control) based on some specific OBD codes that may come up. When the conditions indicate it, the "Limp Mode" is triggered and you are locked into 2nd gear. The idea is the car can still make a short trip to a shop and not have to be towed.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:16 am   
Hello All!

I wanted to thank each of you who took the time to reply to me. I am very grateful for the input.

I took the car to our local Chrysler dealer yesterday. Talked to him today. He said the motor has 3 misses, and the transmission is shot. He reccommended junking that car, as the cost for the transmission alone exceeds the value of the car.

I am heartbroken. The body, the interior, the convertable top are all in excellent shape. The rubber is brand new.

I am now open to any suggestions was to what I should do with the car.

Warmest regards,

Roger Day

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:45 am   

The choice is yours but here are a few things to consider.

For one, did you buy the car because you want to sell it? Or did you plan on keeping it till it is used up and gone?

If it is the latter, value of what it is worth is meaningless.

From there you can decide. Getting a reman transmission or good used one can save a lot of money. Fixing the miss might not be expensive. unless internal engine damage is causing it and that is unlikely.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:51 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Also, a transmission doesn't have to be replaced by the dealer. Most mechanics with any type of shop can do it, and for much less. I found a decent one on craigslist. Just get some references, and make sure they use ATF+4. If the rest of the car is that nice, I would say keep it, and drive the rubber off it. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:00 pm   
Gold Member

Rjtcz wrote:
I took the car to our local Chrysler dealer yesterday. He reccommended junking that car, as the cost for the transmission alone exceeds the value of the car.

I don't want to sound too harsh on the dealer... but he is a dealer... and wants to sell you a new car! I also have a 2000 and should the tranny go I would rather buy a new tranny than a new car since everything else on my car (to include having a convertible top) is much better than any other used car I could buy. If you really do need a new tranny (may not, b/c I don't trust what the dealer told you), look into having a Jasper transmission put in. I have one in my truck. They are not re-builds, but re-manufactured and to me, worth the additional cost.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:22 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Replace the tranny? $2700 probably.

Replace the car? $8000+ probably for something that you don't have a clue as to what the problems are....

I'm thinking this may be an easier decision. ;)

It's when the costs really stack up that even a car that you bought with the intention of keeping becomes something you want to get rid of. By my definition (and it is an opinion) I don't think you're quite there.

BTW, saying the transmission is shot is like going to the doctor and telling him your complaints. After some careful consideration, the doc will come back in and tell you, "Yup, you're sick" and walk back out. That kind of info from any professional isn't helpful at all. There are 1/2 dozen different things that may have happened to the transmission that has not effected the hard parts.

The problem will be finding someone to do the work you need done and you can trust to give you the right information to make a sound decision on your part, not a financial decision on the service person's part.

I bought my 99 for nearly $10k. I've put $2,800 in a transmission that imploded (the gears literally were in pieces in the case. Not your problem because your car will still move ;) ), $1,400 in the front suspension when a lower control arm went out, two full sets of tires at $600 per set, brakes and rotors as well as a replacement radiator fan, thermostat and hoses. I'll be putting in timing belt and water pump at about $800, a complete new top at $1,000, another set of tires soon, Tune up at $200 and front / rear struts. It will also eventually get a fresh coat of paint. It's fast approaching 222K miles. And I've got every intention of running it past 300 or more.

What don't I have? A $500 a month car note for 6 or 7 years and full coverage insurance. And no worries about what each and every squeek and squawk mean. The ones my car is making I put there, diagnosed and put on the list for repair. ;)

The short point is to look at what you are expecting from the car. Basic transportation? Maybe it's time to let it go and try again. Fun transportation that can get you into some uncommon places? Well, that might be worth some time and effort. ;)

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:42 am   
:redvert:

I would try leaving (+) battery cable unfastened overnight. Resetting computer, which programs to drivers input information. Any problem read out codes?
( + connection, under red plastic cap, under hood near air cleaner) Sometimes cures other Chrysler problems also. Make sure radio and heater are shutoff. Will have to reset clock and maybe Your daughters saved radio stations.
list them!
ART