Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:54 am

Upper Control Arm Replace

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:25 am   
I have a 2001 Sebring and need to replace the upper ball joints and also the tie rod ends on both sides.

My local Autozone has the control arms but I noticed they do not come with bushings. So should I replace the control arms or just the ball joints. They do not have the bushings in stock and I have to do it this weekened.

I am not sure if the bushings are pressed in or will they come out when the bolts are removed?

Tie rods I am not too worried about but can anyone point me to information with pictures on how to step by step remove the control arms or if you think just changing the ball joints any pictures of this will be helpful?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:49 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Dig,

We don't mind helping but there are some differences between the Sebring hardtops and the convertibles. And we're kinda focused on the convertibles. Since you don't mention anything other than Sebring, would you mind clarifying please.

If anyone has a FSM for the 01, perhaps we can help Dig out? :)

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:44 am   
Bandaide wrote:
Dig,

We don't mind helping but there are some differences between the Sebring hardtops and the convertibles. And we're kinda focused on the convertibles. Since you don't mention anything other than Sebring, would you mind clarifying please.

If anyone has a FSM for the 01, perhaps we can help Dig out? :)

Sorry..convertible. I just called our local Chrysler dealer and asked if he had upper control arm bushings and he said there are none listed. He went on to say there was no upper control arm. I am confused.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:09 am   

I just did a quick search and found the same thing, no bushings in the new upper control arms!! I think (not 100% sure) the upper ball joints can be replaced in the upper control arms, unlike the lower control arms where the ball joint isn't really serviceable??? :? (you have to buy a complete lower control arm assembly)

Wish I could be more help...I plan on checking mine this winter, while replacing my wheel bearings.

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:55 am   

Quote:
I think (not 100% sure) the upper ball joints can be replaced in the upper control arms

That is correct. The uppper ball joint can be replaced. No need to replace the upper control arm unless damaged in an accident.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:21 pm   
Well I finished the right side. It the better part of the day mostly because everything was rusted solid and I needed to stop every now and then and go buy a tool, but over all it was not difficult. I used CRC 226 to losen everything up, works great.

I changed the outer tie rod end, upper control arm and while I had it all apart I replaced the shock.

Will do the other side next week and I am sure it will go greatly faster as I have all the tools and parts I need. Car rides great with no clunking sound.

After this I will get one of those front strut braces to tighten her up.

Just have to find a little leak. One person told me it is coming from the oil pan. We will see.