It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:09 pm

License Plate Mount?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:10 pm   
So I took off my front plate because I hate what they do to the front of the car, even though it's illegal here. It's not a problem here in my small town, but I decided to put it back on just to be safe from a $250 ticket when I travel. It looks stupid and trashy when just screwed to the bumper, but I've never seen a front plate mount on a 1g. Does anyone have one? Is there another car that has a plate mount that will work?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:51 pm   

Here's what I had to do on my '04 when I replaced the OEM grille with the Bentley style grille as the OEM license plate holder would not fit. My first assumption is the holes for your license plate do NOT match up with the holes in the front fascia for mounting the plate holder. If I'm correct, go to any shop that deals in aluminum and have them cut a sheet of aluminum to the correct size (6" x 12"). I got mine off eBay. HERE'S AN EXAMPLE.

Anyway, I then ground down all 4 corners to match the curves on the corner of the license plates. Then drill 2 holes to match where it needs to mount to the bumper. Then drill 2 holes to match the holes in the license plate. If there is a curve where it will mount like I had to contend with, I purchased a couple of nylon spacers at the hardware store to put behind the aluminum piece. The screw/bolt you will use will go thru the center of the spacer and all will be good. Just get the correct size spacer. I believe they are sold in various sizes in increments of 1/8"

The final problem is getting the license plate screwed into the aluminum since you won't have those built in nuts. I used a pair of metal clips like the one below. These are for a # 8 screw and were purchased in a bag of 13 at NAPA. The length from where it will slip over the top of the aluminum piece to the screw hole is just perfect. The flat side goes toward the front (facing the license plate) and the curved side toward the rear (facing the bumper).

The 2 white pieces you see in this image are the nylon spacers I mention. Just to the inside of each of them are the clips. Look carefully and you can see them slightly. The 2nd pic below is what they look like. BTW, all license plate frames (not holders) have their screw holes matched to the plates so you can install any frame you would like, as well.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:18 pm   
This is more what I mean:
[ img ]
See what I'm saying? I've got a 2000, so the mounting position is on the front bumper itself, and the plate hangs down in front of the lower grille opening. I'd like an OEM looking thing like this that ties it in well, and I figure maybe I could take one off of another car at the junkyard and file it down in places or something? Am I making sense?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:28 pm   

You're making as much sense as you usually do. :rofl:

Sorry, how could I resist? In my experience you will not find another OEM holder that will fit, or can be adapted to fit, other than the one meant to be there. That means finding an original part - used or new. However, you stated you hate what it does to the front of the car. Be aware, what I suggested is less bulky since it doesn't have those sides; and, while I doubt you can mount it lower (which you probably don't want to do) you can likely mount it higher by simply drilling the mounting holes lower on the aluminum piece. It may center better on the bumper between the grille and the bottom opening.
HERE'S AN OEM BRACKET at Franklin-Sussex Auto Mall web site. It's $34.28 plus shipping.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:30 pm   

Oops, HERE'S ONE ON EBAY for $20.00, including shipping.

EDIT: I just noticed the eBay seller is none other than our own PacificPentastar.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:37 pm   
I know I always make perfect sense. :woot:
I like yours, and I think I just misunderstood. I thought it was only applicable to post-facelift 2g's. I also like the OEM eBay one. AAHHHH! CHOICES!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:48 pm   
Silver Member

I know this doesn't help you out any brandon buy I have one for a 2g in anyone needs one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:05 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I believe that the one from the stratus will fit as well...(my 99 had a salvage one on it that had stratus written on it in yellow)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:57 am   
Update: Picked up that one ^ on eBay. Seller lowered the price to 14.99. Hooray for procrastination! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:33 am   
Silver Member

Good deal! :thumbsup: