It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:05 am

Rear Window Seal repair?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:27 pm   
Hello Everyone!!!

Im fairly new to owning my 1997 Chrysler Sebring convertible (LXi), and I have noticed that the rear window seal that prevents water coming in has become un-attatched. Is there any way to repair this? Other than this one problem the top is in fairly good working order, although a little beaten up. Is it more wise to purchase one of these top covers for approximately 250 dollars and replace the top myself?

Im very appreciative to any and all help in advance!!!! Id rather fix it if at all possible before I commit to buying and replacing the top.

PS: this is the site I was looking at for buying a new top - any suggestions? and are they diy-able?? http://www.convertibletopguys.com/conve ... er-Sebring

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:33 pm   
Copper Member

I have a 97 Sebring, about one and a half years ago the rear window completely shattered. I thought about purchasing a new top with the window and then decided to purchase a replacement window from a salvage yard and glued it in position using Rhino glue. The Rhino glue worked better than I expected and it was a fairly easy job that took about half a day.

I did touch up a couple of small areas on the bottom of the glass that was starting separate last summer but the glue was $20.00 and a couple of hours of work it came out pretty good.

I suggest you consider using some type of glue first. If it doesn't work for you you can always consider replacing the top with the window.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:42 pm   
Hey, Thanks for your reply!!

Using Rhino Glue huh? Where can one procure some Rhino Glue? O_o

And you said that it took about half a day to do? - just curious on how you went about doing it??

Thanks again for all your help!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:26 am   

I used Permatex Weatherstip Adhesive years ago (about 9) and it worked great. I no longer have that car; but, it held for the remaining 2 1/2 years I did own it and was going strong when I got rid of it.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:28 pm   
Copper Member

Hello,

I used the Rhino Glue pro kit $16.95.

http://www.rhinoglue.com/index.html

I tried to scratch up the material that fits on the window and make sure the glass was clean where the material will be glued. I used two inexpensive large magnets that I purchased for Harbor Freight and spread the glue on the material the magnets were used to hold the material in place to the glass (one magnet inside and one on the outside) as I continued around the window. You will need to let the glue setup overnight.

If it's only the bottom portion I can't imagine it would that more than an hour to glue it back in place.

Good Luck,

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:03 pm   
Its actually the top part of the rear window :X

Im not sure how it happened but im guessing that over 15 years the top shrank ever so much, and the part where the top meets the very top of the rear defroster window seperated :P.

Thanks for the info on your methods!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:02 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

May I ask the silly question? Please?

You are aware that these tops are a two piece installation and the sides and upper fabric around the glass are actually part of the main shell. The bottom piece of fabric that is the only exterior fabric/vinyl that should be adhered to the glass is NOT part of the main shell, it is part of the rear valance which is a waterproof liner with the glass glued on the outside.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:26 pm   
I didn't claim to be a genius on convertible tops or how they are contructed :P

I just want to make it so that i cant shove my finger through the top of rear defroster window to prevent leaks from raining, etc..

If I understand what youre saying, then you are saying that the upper part near the defroster window which i thought shrank is actually supposed to be like that and that there is only a waterproof liner supposed to be glued there. But you are saying that the waterproof liner is supposed to be glued onto the window from the outside, when it looks to be like it was previously glued from the inside.

I understand that what im trying to convey is somewhat vague and confusing, so at request I will upload photos :)

Thanks for all your current and continuing help everyone!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:05 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I think a photo would help...I'm trying to picture it...hmmm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:30 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Impaul,

The genius is in finding a place to learn what you need to know. Preferably before an expensive mistake. ;) Not saying you were headed for one ..... ;)

Take a look at this How To Album from the Gallery. The notations are not what they should be but that's due to a couple of site migrations that were not photo friendly. :(

It's more than you'll need to know to fix your problem but should show you what you're working with. CLICK HERE!

The liner is between the glass and the interior. The glass lays on top of it with a heat activated adhesive. It's very difficult to get it to stay reglued for a long period unless you catch it early. I've had my glass out 5 or 6 times trying different adhesives to get it to stay put but I haven't hit the perfect combination yet. If it does stay put, then the adhesive will separate when I lower my top. I'm now to the point, after three years of mixed results, that I'm just going to have to put a top on the car. Of course, it's 13 years old now.....and 3 years overdue. :evilsmile:

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:05 pm   
Silver Member

Here's a pic to help you out:

[ img ]

The blue part is supposed to be attached. Notice the high quality tan duct tape. The red area is actually overlapping the rear window, like shingles on a roof. They are NOT attached to each other. If you partially open the roof, you CAN stick your hand between the two (along the sides, not the top). But when it's closed, there shouldn't be any leaking. The top of the rear window piece is attached to the rear most bow of the top frame. The rest of the roof just surrounds it.

-Andrew

p.s. On a side note, there are replacement one-piece tops w/ vinyl rear window, those are attached all the way around. And if you watch your top open, you will notice how the window drops down and away from the sides and top piece, if it was glued it probably wouldn't lay right and break. Now if your window is separating from the internal piece it's supposed to be attached to, the glass would be laying on the top of the back seat. Very noticable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:52 pm   
Last summer, I had my back glass starting to detach from the vinyl, and the guy who changed my top just fixed it with the black stuff they use (urethane in a tube) to hold the windshield in place. It made a really nice job, but I don't know how long it will last. Perhaps someone has already tried this with no long term benifit!

If you try it, just make sure you clean the surfaces you want to glue together with rubbing alcool. As for windshield installation, use the same tape icebrrg3rd uses to keep the part together for at least 24 hour, so the urethane can harden. Then just enjoy the ride!!!

Hope this helped!

Michel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:27 pm   
Yea Icebrrg the picture that you posted helps a great deal

around the top of the red area that you outlined closest to the roof is where im having the problem. At that specific part of the top is no longer overlaps the rear window, i assume it shrank?? because on my top the top of the rear window is about a 1/4 of an inch seperated from the top of the overlap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:39 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Impaul,

That section in red is the area where the outer cover is not attached to the glass. Going straight down from the outer cover, the glass is next with no adhesive on the outer surface and then the glass sits on adhesive and the inner fabric as a single unit. There is usually about an inch of glass that is covered by the outer fabric. If the outer fabric has shrunk or pulled up enough to expose the edge of the glass, there you've probably got some damage to the stitching on the strip that locks the outer fabric to the bow. If this is the problem, then the easiest way to fix it might be to remove the top. But the amount of work required for an iffy repair may make it worthwhile to replace the fabric. You can buy just the main cover, the glass section or the whole two-piece top.

Do you know if you have a vinyl or fabric (cloth) top?

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:41 pm   
My top is Vinyl, but even though the part that is supposed to be overlapping the top is no longer doing just that, Im going to see if i can just reapply adhesive to the part that is supposed to be glued to the defroster window...

If I cant fix the overlapping problem, at least I can stop water from dripping into my car.... ._.