Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:26 am

'04 Convertible Horn Problem

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:02 am   
I had that same problem with my '03 and I just assumed it was poor DC design of the horn. My clock sprin eventually went bad so that could have been the cause of the problem. I haven't fixed the clock spring yet so I don't know if that will actually fix the problem or not.

I have the FSm on CDROM in my hotel room. I'll look at it and see what sensors are on the horn pad and where they are located. If they really are only on the little horn insignias, that is a poor design. Have you ever tried to hit one of them dead on center when say someone is trying to pull into you?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:06 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I have experienced this problem a couple of times, but I just chalked it up to not pressing hard enough on the horn. I just don't like the idea of the horn being where the airbag explodes.

99.9% of the time, my horn works when pressed, most anywhere around the area.

So I don't have a fix, since I never had the problem for long enough to complain about it. I say keep on the dealers and Chrysler. This is unacceptable and should be handled in 1 visit, not 4 or 5.

Remember, smiling and writing will get you further than screaming and talking. It will also help with your blood pressure. :lol:

Get the regional rep's name and make friends. If you continue to have problems after that, contact the local media. Damn dealers hate bad publicity.

Let us know when you get it fixed. A horn is not rocket science.

Good luck!

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:35 am   
I'd be intrested in exactly what they fixed so I could take mine to the dealer and ask them to do the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:36 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Glad to hear you found someone that would get to the bottom of your problem. That sounds like the place to use if you have another problem.

If I'm reading that invoice right, it looks like the first two stealerships couldn't figure out that there was an intermittent connection in the existing ground path (wire or connection).

Being intermittent and electrical, this kind of problem is hard to diagnose but incredibly obvious to a mechanic that will take the time to check more than "parts". Unfortunately, many stealerships won't allow the time for that kind of research, they prefer the quick changes.

BTW, How in the world do you break a clockspring? Especially a new one?

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:32 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

jasssmit wrote:
Chrysler then canceled the order and called them to ask why they were ordering my car a steering column. When they explained the problem, Chrysler told them promptly how to fix it.

So NONE of the three dealers actually contacted Chrysler about this? Only after the third dealer ordered something that raised a flag at Chrysler did they get told the answer.

When I have a problem at work, I don't just hand it back to the customer and say "it's as good as we can get it", I start calling in co-workers/managers/vendors/friends, etc to get the problem corrected.

Of course, I don't know the whole story (on the dealer/Chrysler end), so who knows what went on there. It sucks that some dealers don't respect the customer's time and effort to get the problem taken care of.

Ok, off the soap box. :wink:

Glad to hear they fixed it. Good info should I start having this problem.

Profile WWW