Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:43 am

Bubbling Coolant

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:36 am   
Bronze Member

I just recently changed my thermostat on my 2001 2.7. Eveythign is working fine and have bled the system several times, but now when I stop the car after a good drive and its warmed up Ill turn off the car and the coolant jug is bubbling like crazy. Takes about 10 min for it to all go away. Do i just need to keep bleeding it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:41 am   
Gold Member

Nope. That's just your coolant next to a hot engine when the pump has been shut off. It's boiling....gently. If everything is right, as it cools and contracts it will pull fluid from your plastic reservoir.

Could your last bit of driving be a bit hard?? Or you may just live in one of those warm places. It's pretty normal on a wide range of cars.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:22 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Andy has probably got a line on what you're seeing but I have two thoughts for you. 1. Are you having to add any coolant to the reservoir now? 2. Have you opened the fill cap and checked to see how much air is remaining? If your car is still purging air, you can sometimes top up the fill neck and speed up the process.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:52 am   
Having had to have two coolant systems repairs done to my 2.7 I can say, without much doubt, that this means there is a leak some place in the system. The Thermostat in this car is not a simple replacement and you may have missed something but that only reason for the coolant to boil, if the car is not overheating, is because there is a leak in the pressurized system.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:26 am   
Gold Member

If you're not having to add coolant, you don't have a leak.......but if you are, either you have a leak or you have overheating.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:52 am   
I had a similar problem... a $5 radiator cap later and I was back on the road!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:47 am   
Gold Member

Damien wrote:
I had a similar problem... a $5 radiator cap later and I was back on the road!

:yeahthat: From what I've read so far, I'd palce my bet on the radiator cap.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:33 pm   
Gold Member

Strong possibility. They actually make a radiator cap tester..........if it's not holding the pressure it should, the water boils more easily.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:04 am   
AndyAK wrote:
If you're not having to add coolant, you don't have a leak.......but if you are, either you have a leak or you have overheating.

I it is boiling then you are loosing coolant through steam loss. The hole can be tiny. Trust me guys, I have been here twice. If you have not had the problem then you have no idea what you are talking about.

A faulty radiator cap will cause the problem. Why? Because a faulty radiatorcap lets air in which is what? Oh yeah, A LEAK!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:26 am   
Gold Member

Actually, to split hairs.....what a bad cap does is not maintain the pressure on the system needed to keep it from boiling. And boiling will put air in the system, but it may not be associated with coolant loss.

There is air under the cap on this system, as the pressure cap is on the overflow tank. On more common systems (where the cap is actually on the radiator) there should be no air under the cap.

On this system you could have boiling and have to keep bleeding the system without actually having overheating or coolant loss.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:27 am   
Gold Member

jerandlaur wrote:
I it is boiling then you are loosing coolant through steam loss. The hole can be tiny. Trust me guys, I have been here twice. If you have not had the problem then you have no idea what you are talking about.

A faulty radiator cap will cause the problem. Why? Because a faulty radiatorcap lets air in which is what? Oh yeah, A LEAK!!!

Before you take that tone with people you may want to ensure you know what you're talking about.
As AndyAK said, a bad cap doesn't maintain pressure which lowers the boiling point of the coolant. The temperature of vaporization of any liquid increases with the pressure.
Secondly, it's not air bubbling out of the system - it's water vapor -steam. When the engine stops the coolant is left in contact with the hotter portions of the engine, it boils locally. As the liquid changes to gas, its volume increases hundreds fold. The steam rises to the top and is pushed out to the reservoir along with some coolant.
Anything presented here is conjecture. It's foolish to think you absolutely know what the problem is when you can't see the problem and have only scant facts. From what a person says, there is the possibility to exclude causes, and experience can suggest causes, nothing more. I’m asserting that the bad radiator cap suggestion is a good suggestion. Not the absolute cause to the problem, a possible cause.

Stargazer said that when the engine is warm and he stops the engine it boils like mad for about 10 minutes. He says nothing of coolant loss and a leak would suggest.
The questions I would ask next is:
1: Is there a coolant loss?
2: I the coolant a proper mix of anti-freeze and water?
3: What does the temperature gauge say before you shut the engine down?

Be Nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:47 am   

Lets try to keep it civil here.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:59 am   
Quote:
Lets try to keep it civil here

:yeahthat:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:31 am   
Bronze Member

Well i does have a new cap, replaced it at the beginning of winter. The temp gauge reads fine, just over the half way point at operating temp. Coolant mix is OK. Oh an another thing my cooling fan seems to run almost all the time when it at running temp also.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:36 am   
Gold Member

stargazer7467 wrote:
Well i does have a new cap, replaced it at the beginning of winter. The temp gauge reads fine, just over the half way point at operating temp. Coolant mix is OK. Oh an another thing my cooling fan seems to run almost all the time when it at running temp also.

Have you checked belt tension ?????