Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:27 am

Seat belt Chime

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:02 pm   
I have spent some time searching through the forums and could not find a solution to this. Is there any way of disabling the seat belt chime on my '04 when the belt is not in use. I know a friend of mine who did this in his Mustang by doing some kind of key "trick". Does anyone know how to do this and if it is possible at all. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:18 pm   
there is a combination of things you do. check your manual for the code. its like getting the trouble codes for your car in a certain way.

i can try and find it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:14 pm   
Personally, I like to be inside convertibles when they flip over.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:19 pm   
i dont have mine off and i always wear my seat belt. but i know it gets annoying on our 04 ram when we are in campgrounds and when in big ones may have to drive half a mile to get to the general store. in which case we hop in and go 5mph for half a mile. you arent gonna roll going 5mph unless you REALLY suck at driving :shock:

but yeah if youre not wearing a seatbelt during daily driving thats not good

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:52 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Only way I know of disabling that chime is to wear the seatbelt. ;)

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 pm   
well, i do wear the seatbelt with the top down but i do have a bad habit of not wearing it during regular driving. i guess it really stemmed from years of watching my father drive without his.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:23 pm   
i guess the ding is a good reminder then huh?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:24 pm   
lol ya the reminder is good but annoying none the less.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:36 pm   
It's not worth the extra fine when you get stopped.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:44 pm   
the one in the ram was a combination of key movements. on, off, on, off, off, on and so forth. thats not what it was but you get the idea. the only reason we did that was because at campgrounds we frequently drive 5mph through the campground streets to drop off garbage in the dumpsters or go to the general store so we dont need seatbelts then. but driving regularly you need a seatbelt. but i believe there is a way to shut it off if you absolutley need it off.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:53 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I turned mine off in my 04. It actually just goes off once, then stays quiet. I did it because of drive-throughs, I get my wallet out, then don't replace my belt till I get my change. It gets really annoying as you wait in line! :-x It is a on-off series, found in the manual. Hope this helps, and gives reason to have it off besides being a scoff-law!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:25 am   
Garrysr wrote:
I turned mine off in my 04. It actually just goes off once, then stays quiet. I did it because of drive-throughs, I get my wallet out, then don't replace my belt till I get my change. It gets really annoying as you wait in line! :-x It is a on-off series, found in the manual. Hope this helps, and gives reason to have it off besides being a scoff-law!

Can you tell us what the 'code' is? I have the exact same problem with drive throughs. Even worse is driving to the 711 thats .7 miles away. (.7 cause its measured out for my runs in the mornings)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:49 am   

NfamousCJ wrote:
Can you tell us what the 'code' is? I have the exact same problem with drive throughs. Even worse is driving to the 711 thats .7 miles away. (.7 cause its measured out for my runs in the mornings)

From the owners manual for my '04:

To deactivate the system, which the manufacturer does not recommend:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and fasten the driver's seat belt.
2. Start the engine and wait until the Seat Belt Warning Light goes out.
3. Unfasten and refasten the driver's seat belt 3 times within 1 minute of starting the vehicle.
4. Turn off the engine. A single chime will signal that the system has been deactivated.

Although the Seat Belt Use Reminder System has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driver's seat belt remains unfastened. To reactivate the Reminder System, repeat the above procedure.

Hope this helps. It worked fine on my car the day I got it over 2 years ago.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:19 am   
Golfnut wrote:
NfamousCJ wrote:

From the owners manual for my '04:

To deactivate the system, which the manufacturer does not recommend:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and fasten the driver's seat belt.
2. Start the engine and wait until the Seat Belt Warning Light goes out.
3. Unfasten and refasten the driver's seat belt 3 times within 1 minute of starting the vehicle.
4. Turn off the engine. A single chime will signal that the system has been deactivated.

Although the Seat Belt Use Reminder System has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driver's seat belt remains unfastened. To reactivate the Reminder System, repeat the above procedure.

Hope this helps. It worked fine on my car the day I got it over 2 years ago.

Appreciate that a bunch. Thats why I like this site, information fast. Also on the matter of seatbelts, I found autozone has 'seatbelt retainer' clips which pull the shoulder strap down to your left side and clips to the belt (close to where it comes up from the bottom) This I find useful for people like me in the summer driving around the beach and not wanting a seatbelt tan. Though people have asked "do you drive a convertible?"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:06 am   

Wear your seatbelt! Top up or down these cars do not offer much protection in a crash. That seatbelt is about all you have that will make the difference. We don't want to be loosing any CSCC members in a crash because they didn't wear a seatbelt.

Profile WWW