Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:39 pm

naked 3.5

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:03 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I was goofing around a little while ago and decided to take off the goofy plastic cover on my 3.5...so if anyone hasn't seen it...here it is...a lot of plastic...welcome to the 21st century...
Attachment:
PB071251.JPG
Attachment:
PB071252.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:33 pm   
Gold Member

Man that plastic cover is about huge!

Note to self keep eye out on side of road for old truck mud flap.

:sensehumor:

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:16 am   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a shop by me that modifies Charges. I talked to him on making a nice design on mine. He said he has a problem with the paint adhering to the plastic. As soon as he resolves it he will call me. (His dad is a saleman at our dealer.)

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:13 pm   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 3.5 Nissan engine in my grandmas 08 maxima is the same as well...i dont have a pic of it..but heres one off the net .....Heck at least you can see your alternator with it on!
[ img ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:49 pm   
Bronze Member

More plastic to throw in to the purchase of a vehicle!
I like how manufacturers are making the under hood areas more visually appealing, while adding in uneeded costs and heat.

At the moment I'm writing a paper on engineering, and can provide this quote.
"Only 17 to 20 percent of the energy in gasoline is used to move a vehicle (the rest is wasted as heat), whereas 75 to 86 percent of the electricity delivered to an electric vehicle goes into motion."

Yea!!! Lets keep that heat in by throwing more plastic onto the engine!!! Yea!!!

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:27 pm   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heck i would b happy if they started throwing 440s back into cars muhahahahahahah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:49 am   
my thought is yes lots of plastic all over these cars , lets take it off! save some weight , although you need about 100 pounds of weight to make a real difference but still , it cant hurt to take off weight right? slightly off topic but what can we take off our sebrings to save weight and not really ruin our creature comforts (i have a 98 sebring ) lol but i am meaning for all our sebrings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:48 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I have enough problem squealing the tires with the weight in the front it has...I can't imagine losing weight especially in the front and keep the car on the road...the 3.5 has some low end torque especially when matched with this 6 speed...I constantly squeal even when I'm not looking to...town cops look at me all the time...(Small town) :blahblah:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:49 pm   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can squeal with the 2.5 if i want to..i have before...specially when someone makes u mad hahaha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:35 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

You mean you can open the hood and look at the engine?

Hmm....I've owned my 09 Dodge Grand Caravan for 4 1/2 months now. I still haven't seen the engine. I think it has one. ;)

Reminds me of my 95 Lincoln Mark VIII...that thing had a nice plastic shroud over it, why I don't know. My 95 Tbird didn't have it. Does having 16 extra valves and another overhead cam mean you need a plastic cover? LOL

I'm going away now. :rofl:

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:21 am   
These plastic shrouds are becoming more prevalent for several reasons:

1. They suggest the 'allure' of an engine that doesn't need maintenance.

2. Virtually all concept cars shown at major car shows have the entire engine covered by these plastic 'burkas' that suggest the engine is more futuristic, modern or high tech. So, manufacturers are trying to bring show car concepts to the showroom cars. Unfotunately, the show car engine covers are often stylish and well thought out, while the final version is the product of a price-target design being farmed out to the lowest bidder.

3. The engines are for the most part, ugly. They need to be made to look more appealing. The days of a good-looking dressed up small-block V-8 with the size, horsepower or marque name on the valve covers and/or air cleaner are gone.

4. Some of the valve covers are designed and intended to muffle the tick-tick-tick sound the fuel injectors make as they open and close several times per minute.