Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:02 pm

Rear window defogger not working

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:23 am   
Anyone have trouble with the rear window defogger on the convertible? I have an '03 Seb Convert. I found a connection off the window on the right side to I got some special electrical conductive glue made especially for this problem. Followed the instruction. Good bond. But it still doesn't work. Checked fuses. Seem ok. I was thinking of getting a continuity checker to check connection to see if any juice is getting back there. I am not an expert with this stuff but I have been able to fix a few things.
Any suggestions or any one with the same problem with the convertible window?
Thanks,
Ted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:33 am   

That is a very common problem on these cars. The glue just doesn't work well either. About the best thing to do is solder the connector back on.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:51 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I agree with the resoldering ..my 99 did that...works now...
Question ;do you get a beep from the button when you try to turn it on? or does it light up like it's on but just dosen't work? My father in law beeps when you press the button...and fails to even turn on...(relay clicks on and off immediately)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:16 am   
Hardhat,
Yes it beeps when I hit the button on the dash and the relay clicks as well but no melting snow or ice happens. Evidently the "special conductive glue" is a bust. I will try the soldering. Thanks for the response.
LXI03

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:11 pm   
Bronze Member

The Permatex glue is worthless, the Frostfighter conductive epoxy works but is pricey. I used both, now with the epoxy I have a hot spot and only half the grid heats up. I also glued on a second tab but have not connected it all up yet. I have noticed though that the rear window clears up fairly fast. I would still like the defroster to work but honestly I can live with it - and I'm near Chicago! I think if wiring up all the tabs doesn't work, I'll look at one of the Frostfighter kits and replace the whole grid, it can wait till warmer weather though, it might get above freezing in August?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:48 pm   
fibersport,
Thanks for the info. I did use that conductive epoxy stuff but she no work. I will have a friend solder it for me. I don't trust me!

Well, today in OHIO is was 54 so I am sure we will be completely above freezing by August. :?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:38 pm   
Gold Member

Just had it happen to my 2005.

I bought the Permatex kit as guys at Carquest said it is quite popular and a local car dealership requests alot of it.

Will see how it works.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:19 pm   
I know this is an old thread. But there was never an answer. Did anyone get this fixed?

I have an '04 Sebring Convertible. The rear defroster intially didn't work and I discovered it was because one of the tabs had come off. I fixed this using a Permatex Complete Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit I picked up from Pepboys. This fixed the problem for a bit.

However, my rear defroster doesn't work anymore. I hear the beep and the light comes on and stays on on the button, but the window doesn't defrost. Both tabs are still attached. Could there be something else that may be the problem? Or is it possible the tab I repaired's adhesive lost it's conductivity?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:30 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

If you have a multimeter check to see if there is a connection between both posts...should be almost a short...if you have an open or the resistance is high, 1000 ohms or higher for example...then its a connection issue.

My daughter had some bad luck trying to fix her's and ended up blowing out the back window...but that's another story.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:41 pm   
I just checked the connections with a multimeter. The driver's side was 0, but the passengers side was 1. So I believe it is in fact a connection issue.

So now as to how to fix it. Is there a safe way to remove the tab? And once it's removed, I'm guessing soldering would be the best option?