Register
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:11 pm

2000 JXI 2.5 Transmission (not selector) stuck in Park

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:32 pm   
Copper Member

First posting here and need some help.

Its a 2000 JXI with 90,000 miles, While driving, I lost the transmission (acted like it was in Neutral). With the engine running I coasted to a stop. Had it towed home where I changed the speed sensors, the solenoid pack, the filter and the fluid (fluid looked normal).

Now, its acting like its stuck in park or stuck in two gears at the same time. THE SELECTOR DOES MOVE and the gear indicator light works The only time I can roll the car is with the engine off and the car in Neutral. If I start the engine, (even in Neutral) the drive wheels lock as if its in park.

With the engine idling (650 rpm's) , I can feel the transmission change gears (a small bump and slight drop in rpm's) as I move the shift selector from gear to gear. If I place the car in Drive or Reverse and increase the rpm's to 2,000 the car will bump a foot or so before it stops with the drive wheels locked.

Oh, I can not get any codes to come up and the “check engine” light is off.

If anyone has any ideas what I could try next, it would be greatly appreciated. Trying not to spend big money at the dealer or trans shop. Thanks..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:37 pm   

What does your transmission fluid look like?

Sounds to me like the solenoid is kicking in to switch gears, but then the transmission swiches back?

I have to say, this is the first I heard of this one.

Try and the battery disconnect fix first. Remove the battery for a few minutes and see if the TCM is acting up.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:23 pm   
Silver Member

It should have jumped into 2nd gear or "limp mode" when you first had the problem. I think you can take it to a shop and they can read special trans codes that will tell you whats wrong. My guess is you have some internal problem. It may be minor, but I doubt it. These transmissions are a real pain to remove and install if you leave the engine in. It would be easier to drop the engine with the trans. I also had one of these transmissions apart and they are a little tricky to work on compared to the old 727's and 904's.