Register
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:23 am

Reservoir bottle boiling? what is cause?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:43 am   
2002 sebring 2.7L I noticed my reservoir bottle boiling and bubbling. Car is not overheating.

Fans don;t seem to go on, except when AC is turned on. The Low speed connector seems a little burnt. but this maybe another problem.

I checked thermostat and it appears to be fine so I reinstalled. Still boiling over...

The top radiator hose is hot the bottom radiator hose seem just warm after cars runs a long time. But gauge reads mid way and not indicating overheating.

Unsure what the problem is could this be a head gasket or water pump?

I used a block check for gases but appears fine. Hard to check since so much back pressure in reservoir. But no gases seem to be present.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:23 am   
No problem
Its normal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:28 am   

:welcome:

It is not normal. Mine and others I know don't do this.

You may have a bad cap. They fail.

Check the water outlet housing on the top front of the engine. that plastic tends to give out and leak.

Lastly I don't know how many miles you have, but it is possible your water pump is giving up.

Check the easy things first.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:59 am   
:(

IN MY CASE, CHRYSLER OFFICIAL SERVICE SAID ITS NORMAL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:10 am   
In my case, my reservoir always bubbled, since i bought my car in 2004.

Never hoverheated, fans stars working right away and nevr had problems with hoses or thermostats.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 am   
WHAT IS AN EXPANSION RESERVOIR?????

ANSWER:

The expansion tank retains coolant in a reservoir that's been forced out of the car's radiatior under pressure. As you run your car, the temprerature of the coolant circulating through the water jackets naturally increases causing increasing pressure in the cooling system. When the pressure builds to a high enough point, the radiatior cap allows that pressure to escape into the coolant reservoir through a small black rubber tube, called an overflow tube connected by the neck of the radiator to the expansion tank. Most of the coolant that is forced into the expansion tank returns to the radiator naturally after a few hours or when the engine is cold. If you had no expansion tank on your car, then the coolant that was released under pressure would spill out onto the road. It also helps by dissipating air bubles that have accumulated in the system. If you keep having to fill the expansion tank with large amounts of coolant every day, more than a cupfull, then there is likely a small leak somewhere else in the system. That could also be due to a faulty radiator cap (which you should always replace first before worrying youself stupid), a faulty radiator (blockage), water pump or hoses or in the worst case scenario-a blown head gasket or cracked block. If in doubt, have the radiator pressure tested at 15psi to determine where the leak is coming from, also have the radiator coolant tested with a special plastic tube contaning blue liquid that sticks in the radiator neck to measure whether exhaust gases are mixing with the coolant. It takes seconds to do and turns yellow if the result is positive leaving you with a very expensive repair for a new head gasket. If not, thank your lucky stars.

If you overfill the reserve tank, then as the water in your radiator expands it will overflow out the reserve tank's overflow tube (not a problem - perfectly fine) then when you stop the engine and the radiator cools down, the water will contract and it will begin sucking from the reservoir tank and the next day you will notice that your reservoir tank is no longer full.

The full/max line of your reservoir tank is the expected level when the engine is COLD, and the empty space above it is meant for the expansion. If the level is below the full/max line you can add some water/antifreeze mix into the reservoir up to the max line. If you go over the max line it's not a big deal but you will be spilling the excess coolant and just be wasting it.

An overfilled reservoir will not stay overfilled after the first expansion cycle and cannot be the cause of your engine running funny.

NOW I THINK I STATED MY POINT

ITS AN UNIVERSAL LAW OF THERMODINAMIC.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:56 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Olraz,

Regardless of the discussion above, the fans not running at some point is NOT normal.

I don't have any specific information on the 2nd gen specs but check the fuses that power the fans, the relays and if you can, whether or not you're getting power to the plug AT the fan. The power will get there only if the PCM tells the system it's getting too hot.

If this is more than you want to attack, then consider replacing the temperature sending unit. They do go bad over time. It's the piece that tells the PCM how hot the coolant is getting. Like any other communication, it could be getting muddled during the reading.

There are specific temperature points that the low speed fan comes on and a slightly higher point that the high speed fan comes on. Check the Gallery How To albums (top of the screen), there may be some specifics there. Or one of our 2nd gen owners with a Factory Service Manual may be kind enough to give you the specific ranges.

Sending units going out are cheaper than the fans going out but both are fairly common issues.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:57 am   

The rad cap is a type of relief valve, it holds pressure to a predetermined point then releases it, if that pressure is exceeded. When the coolant becomes pressurized the boiling point increases and as long as the rad cap is in good operating condition will not boil or bubble in the expansion tank. If the rad cap is weak, or has failed, it will not hold pressure therefore allowing the coolant to boil!!

If your coolant is boiling then you should try changing the rad cap, it is the cheapest item to change and by far the simplest! If the rad cap is operating properly and holding pressure, your coolant should not boil. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:11 am   
Copper Member

olraz.. this has been a pretty popular topic. I myself have just finished posting for info on this part and how to take it apart. I you go to the start of this topic "2.7 engine and look for "Water Housing repair, lots-o-pictures, dial up warning " there will be great suggestions on how to so the job.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:18 am   
Gold Member

paulo_4wd wrote:

Paulo 2nd gens use a pressurized reservoir, not an expansion tank. 1st gens use an expansion tank. olraz has a bad radiator cap. It won't hold pressure, and the system needs that pressure to work effectively. Think how a pressure cooker works.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:28 am   
Dart Sport wrote:
paulo_4wd wrote:

Paulo 2nd gens use a pressurized reservoir, not an expansion tank. 1st gens use an expansion tank. olraz has a bad radiator cap. It won't hold pressure, and the system needs that pressure to work effectively. Think how a pressure cooker works.

2.0l 2G EUROPEAN USES EXPANSION

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:41 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

paulo_4wd wrote:
Dart Sport wrote:
paulo_4wd wrote:

2.0l 2G EUROPEAN USES EXPANSION

That is possible. We aren't too familiar with the 2.0l, I think we will admit. Just as some of our folks may know the 2.7 better. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:44 am   
Found it

http://www.sebringclub.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=56693&g2_GALLERYSID=51516c6b2068f86ef7acdbdf17f4c647

What i said befor is for expansion, not pressured

Going find Temp range

PS: SORRY TO taman76 AND TO olraz

Last edited by paulo_4wd on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:06 am   
FINNALY

All u ever whant or need about this discussion is here.

Now, GTG

See u all tomorow

Please, open your eyes and read carefully

PS Temp range is in pag 40

Last edited by paulo_4wd on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:44 pm   
Every time I see someone typing in all caps, I read it in Billy Mays's voice....

olraz wrote:
Still boiling over...

By boiling over, do you mean simply bubbling in the reservoir, or actually boiling out of it?