Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:18 am

Automatic rear view mirror - 99 Jxi

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 pm   
Copper Member

The mirror is refusing to turn on unless I move the connecting wire in the back. Comes on but then goes off in a few seconds. It's been on there a long time and the mirror is cloudy; I guess it's time to find a replacement? Maybe someone out there has found a way to do a repair? Just thought I would ask. Thanks, Don :worship:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:21 pm   

If it is cloudy, I don't believe there is any way to repair it. Replacement is what you will need to do. Which type of wiring connector is on the back of the mirror - a square 4 wire connector or a flat 7 pin/5 wire connector? There are plenty of us that can look for one at the yards.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:43 pm   
Platinum Member

Keith was also taking them and putting a different autodim mirror on the 1g mount. might want to ask him about doing it for you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:07 pm   

It is possible to replace the unreliable 1G Donnelly mirror with an ultra-reliable 2G Gentex mirror, but you have to completely disassemble both mirrors and modify the Gentex. It uses the same plug as the Donnelly and I have been very happy with mine. I did one for a buddy about six months back and he too is thrilled with the results.

The Gentex has very nice lines, the buttons are more conveniently located and the map lights are LED and much, much brighter than the Donnelly in the 1G.

[ img ]

I did a write up on this some time ago. http://www.sebringclub.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=27240

You can try to find a 2G mirror and do this yourself, or if you want me to provide you one I can have one out to you within a week for a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:39 pm   
Copper Member

Ok, seems I have some choices. Oh, the plug on mine is flat 7 pin original Donnelly mirror. Upgrading the mirror is ok if the cost is reasonable and I could pretty much do the work myself. My son does most of this stuff for me, but is buried in work and I hate to ask him to do one more project. I'm handy and could do reasonable tasks. I see replacement mirrors on Ebay but the prices are all over the map. Let me know my options, cost wise, and I will proceed. Thanks all, Don :roll2:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:51 pm   
Copper Member

I just read the DIY on the mirror conversion. Great project. Looks like something I could handle on my own. The proper mirror might be hard to find? Don

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:28 pm   
Copper Member

Keith has offered to make me up a conversion to a 2G Mirror which seems to be my best course of action. In the meantime i am following his instructions and taking mine apart. Won't matter if I mess it up and very interested to see the inner workings. No worry if I destroy it as it won't be needed, but will give me something to play with for a day or so. Doing my best to keep the old girl running and in good shape. Pretty car and love driving around with the top down in this great Phoenix weather. I made a promise to my late wife I would never sell it. With the few miles I drive it should out last me. Don :party2:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:52 pm   
If you ever go back to a stock donnely 1g version you can find them on loaded up '96 to'98 Buick Regals and loaded up Monte Carlos. I found one on a Malibu. The stem needs changed.
Glenn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:57 pm   
Copper Member

I will keep that in mind. Hopefully, the 2G mirror will be the solution to my problem...long term. Thanks, Don :thumbsup: