It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:00 am

How To: Replace Water Pump & Timing Belt 96-00

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:58 pm   
CSCC Founder
CSCC Founder

How to replace your timing belt and water pump:

http://www.sebringclub.net/diagrams/96- ... cement.pdf

note: i am not the author of this document.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:43 pm   
Very nicely done How To! Reminds me of when I did the oil pump on mine a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:13 am   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Definitely makes the job look easier than imagined. The only suggestions I would add are to borrow and use an air driven impact wrench on the 22mm bolt on the crankshaft pulley and to MARK the timing marks on each of the three pulleys and their corresponding timing points with a light colored paint.

The impact wrench will usually eliminate the need to lock down the crankshaft pulley with a second wrench. It spins so fast the engine acts as the resistance. The paint will just make the job easier.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:08 pm   
Quote:
Excellant!..no way will I even attempt to do this myself... I know my limitations.

Same goes for me. Although I'll need this soon, $500 bucks sounds fair to have it done. Lesson learned on the Eibach springs and strut DIY replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:38 am   
Gold Member

You can buy a Haynes Repair manual at auto parts stores that will help you out with many repairs.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:28 pm   
CSCC Founder
CSCC Founder

I may have it saved on a CD somewhere. It must have gotten lost in the transition.

EDIT: FOUND IT. The link is restored.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:18 pm   
Gold Member

Actually this procedure does not look near as bad as I had envisioned. I changed the timing belt on my '95 Dodge Neon 2.0L twice both times it was a 6 hour evolution.

I'm not looking forward to doing it by any stretch of imagination, since this purchase of this one used and it was done close or just after 100K I'm hoping that its going to last that much longer?

At my present rate of driving its looking like it will be really close to 2014 when my belt change is due. Hope that I'm as up to the task then as I was a few years ago for my Neon! ???

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:54 pm   
I just did this on a 1998 Avenger with the 2.5L. The how-to helped quite a bit. Instead of using the homemade/ $30 tool, I used a curved needlenose pliers.
[ img ]
I put as much torque on it as I could with the small pliers, then had my buddy torque the pulley down. Ive heard that an allen wrench works as well.

Other things I'd like to add is, you definitely need a chain wrench. On the Avenger, the damper is smooth all the way around without any spokes to put a rod through. I borrowed my dads strap wrench and it couldnt hold it tight enough.

Also, I didnt need a puller. On the Avenger forum, it said I needed the Chrysler damper puller, but I was able to wiggle it off with hardly any effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:09 pm   
Hey, how did you remove the upper left timing belt cover without breaking it?
Thanks
Steven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:55 pm   
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

sjmoreno77 wrote:
Hey, how did you remove the upper left timing belt cover without breaking it?
Thanks
Steven

Check out the details in the link in the first post. This pdf file is pretty extensive.

Profile YIM  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]