Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:14 pm

How To: Replace Oil Pressure Switch (Sending Unit) 2.5L 1G

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:10 pm   
NOTE: This how & what work I performed on my ’96 JXI. It is a straightforward removal/installation repair. I did not damage my vehicle in anyway, shape or form. Please, use this as a reference. I will not be held liable for any damage to your vehicle. Please, seek professional assistance from a certified mechanic if you are uncomfortable working on your vehicle.

Now, with that out of the way. I hope this information helps in any way. Thank you.

Tools:

- Eye Goggles/Protection.
- Towels/or rags.
- Electrical Contact Cleaner.
- Needle-nose Pliers or some pointed tool.
- ½” Drive Ratchet.
- ½”Universal" Drive Adapter (you may not need to use one).
- 1-1/16” Deep Well Socket.

NOTE: I purchased all the above at AutoZone. You should not have any trouble finding what you need at any auto parts retailer.

Symptom:

The Oil Can dash light would flicker occasionally/intermittently at a low idle. This would happen around 500 RPM’s.

Removal:

- Raise and support the front end of the vehicle. I drove it up on ramps.
- Although, I did not do it. You can disconnect the battery. That is up to you.
- Now, it's time to get under the vehicle. Please view the pics below (that is if they show).
NOTE: Please wear some sort of eye goggles/protection. Stuff will fall down on your face!

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

- Pull the red lock clip out with something pointed or use small pliers.
- Push in on the back of the connector to disengage the lock catch and pull the connector back away from the engine.
NOTE: Please wear some sort of eye goggles/protection. Stuff will fall down on your face!

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

- Once you have removed the red locking clip; the connector should come off.

[ img ]

[ img ]

- Place the 1-1/16” Deep Well Socket onto the sending unit with the Universal Drive in the socket.
- Attach the ratchet & loosen the sending unit.

Installation:

- The installation is the reverse of the removal. The Oil Sending Unit I purchased from AutoZone had some white stuff (looked like Teflon tape) already on the threads, therefore I didn't have to added anything to it.
- Make sure everything is connected & looking good.

In my case, the flickering Oil Can dash light never came back. So, now, I must go on to my next project - EGR Valve replacement. See ya soon. Peace.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:57 pm   
Silver Member

You will need a deep 1 1/16 socket. The one from Harbor Freight is to shallow. Also, on my 97, I didnt have the red locking thingy, just a tab to push to unlock the plug. Great instructions above.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:03 pm   
Bronze Member

I also suggest using a 3/8" drive deep socket as opposed to 1/2". It's easier to get a 3/8 ratchet up there than 1/2".

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]